May 25, 2010

Venting

Sometimes I wish Alexis did not have sensory issues. 
Yesterday was a very hot day, well into the 90's. Our house does not have central air and the only way to be comfortable is to have our window units running. Alexis hates fans. Her room is the hottest so that is where we put the unit. She would not go to sleep. Always standing in her doorway saying that she had to go to the bathroom or that her back hurt or I want it off. She is not a quiet person. She has two volumes, loud and louder. After awhile it grates on me. So at midnight I finally turned it off. It was a hot night. Today was not any better. 

I moved Alexis' bed across the room so she would not be near the window unit. I put her to bed at 8:30pm and her protests began before she even went into her room. I don't know why but today it really tested me and made me angry. I really hate that Alexis is so sensory sensitive. Sometimes I don't realize how much we do to accommodate her until something like this happens.

She shares a room with her sister. I just want both of them to sleep well. Anyways, I was so frustrated I had to leave the house and walk. I wasn't that far from my house when I heard my neighbor yelling at her kids to go to bed. It was a comfort to me to know that I am not the only one with struggles. 

I don't know if being Alexis' mom is hard because it's all I know. I am sure I would have other battles if she weren't special needs.
 

1 comment:

  1. Leah, I have so much respect and love for you and what you go through. I know how hard it is to live with someone with some special needs...just today my Mom and I had to help Kris calm down and breath because she was having a serious panic attack...but I still don't know or understand what you go through and that's where all my respect for you comes from. I hope that tomorrow will be a better day and that our Heavenly Father assists you with your needs. Love ya's.

    ReplyDelete